If you don't know Zion is on the Western edge of the Colorado Plateau. There's a lot one could say about it, but guidebooks do a better job. Suffice to say that the canyon has the highest sandstone cliffs in the world. So it's very dramatic. Here's an example on the left.
I stayed in Springdale, the town right outside the park, and they have this great shuttle system that takes you to the park, and then a shuttle in the park to take you
By the time I was coming back down the valley, a ton of people had shown up. Zion is very popular. As I was leaving, a tourbus of Italians showed up. And that was my experience for the rest of early part of the day. I went to Weeping Rocks and the Riverwalk, all very nice and interesting, but there were so many people I felt like I was in a herd. Don't get me wrong: I was enjoying myself, but I also wanted to do some hiking away from people.
It was about 2 p.m., and I was trying to decide what to do next. So I went to a park ranger. I love our National Park Rangers because they always have interesting ideas, and I think they often eyeball someone and decide what they think the visitor should do. Anyway, I went and talked to this guy, and he looked me over and suggested I drive away from the canyon up to another section called Kolob Terrace. It's a section of the park that is essentially at the top of the sandstone cliffs, about 4000 ft above the valley floor. (Disclaimer: I
Finally, I went down to eat at the Bit & Spur, which is a Mexican restaurant: I know, I don't get the name either. The food was amazing. I had this seared swordfish on a ragout of white beans, heirloom tomatoes, swe
It was a great first real day to this trip. Tomorrow, I go for another hike in Zion right outside the east part of the park, and then I drive to Bryce for some hiking around there.
3 comments:
When are you not on holidays!? heeheh sorry im just jealous again. Sounds like your having a blast amigo. Enjoy, and I will be sure to see what further experiences you have. Take it easy Doug.
Trent
I know, I do do a lot of traveling. It's awesome dude!
I love Zion! Looks like a great day-- but definitely necessary to get away from the "basin" of any national park to escape the tourists. I'm so looking forward to next weekend in Colorado!!!
Post a Comment