We stayed at the Magnolia Hotel in downtown Denver. The hotel was great; I recommend it to anyone who's going to be traveling in Denver. The rooms have a western brothel feel, with floor length velvet carpets, but everything was really well-appointed, the staff were great, and you get a free hot breakfast.
Downtown Denver, on the other hand, was a little creepy. Maybe it was because I had just come from rural Utah, but I found the grungy, drugged-out denizens of 16th Street a little too much to handle. Luckily, Susan and I came upon a yummy Italian restaurant in a hotel very near our own. It's called Panzanos, and it was really good.
The next morning, we woke up, ate our free breakfast, and started the drive to Mt. Evans. Mt. Evans is one of two 14,000 feet mountains to which you can drive to the peak, the other being Pike's Peak. There's also a bristlecone pine forest up there that Susan wanted to see, plus some hiking, and we thought this would be a good outing for the day. At the entrance, we went to the Forest Service ranger station to get advice, and the really nice ranger suggested some hikes, and suggested we drive to the top first, and then do the hikes. Big mistake.
I've heard of altitude sickness before. When I went to Quito, my host family had warned me about it, and given me lots of precautions. But never have I experienced such a debilitating effect. It started about 10,000 feet, when Susan said that she was feeling a little light-headed. At Summit Lake, which is about 12,000 feet, I thought to myself, we better turn around. I was starting to get light-headed and a little queazy. But I pressed on. At about 13,000, I completely lost it. I said to Susan, "You better driv
The top was spectacular. Unfortunately, I was trying to keep myself from either puking, fainting, or both. We got some good pics of mountain goats, and one of the Susan at the top, but then we had to go down. I really didn't think I could last.
What killed me were all the cyclists who were cycling to the top!!! That's going up a mountain to 14,000 feet! I felt like such a wimp, although the ranger said there's really no rhyme or reason to who's going to get sick.
The other big, and completely stupid, issue was that I had no gas in my car, so I think I was panicking a little. We went down to about 11,000 feet to a ranger station, so Susan could walk around the bristlecone pine forest and take some pictures. The ranger really kindly called to get gas sent up to me. And I just sat in the station, freezing, and counting the seconds that we could get down lower.
We tried a few hikes, but I was pretty wiped out. We did get some great pics at Echo Lake. But basically the day was over for me. We ate lunch in Idaho Springs, then we drove back to Denver, where I passed out on my bed. Later, we drove to a great bookstore, The Tattered Cover, and ate dinner at this yummy restaurant in the Highland neighborhood, called Stella's. But then I went back to the hotel and went to sleep.
The next day, I felt a ton better, and we drove through to Boulder and then on to Rocky Mountain National Park. The lower edges of the park are at 8,000 feet, so I didn't think I'd have problems, and the Ranger gave us great advice. This park is amazing. It's filled with wildlife: was saw mule deer, elk, pica,
We then drove to our fantastic hotel in Boulder called, wait for it, Hotel Boulderado. It dates from 1909, and it's really a fantastic hotel. They have a great restaurant called Q's, and we had a fantastic meal there in honor of Susan's birthday which is next week. I had a fantastic steak, that was incredibly tender even while being well-done. Susan had yummy scallops.
The next morning, we only had a few hours before we had to leave to get Susan to the airport. After breakfast, we walked around Pearl Street which was getting ready for an international festival. Then we walked up a beautiful walking/biking path on Boulder Creek. I could live in Boulder, I think. It was a great town.
After dropping Susan off, I then had to take the 5 hour drive to Taos, NM. I have to say, I'm getting sic
I got to Taos at about 6:30. I'm staying at this beautiful B & B called La Posada de Taos, really near the Plaza, and I'm happy so far. I ate dinner at my favorite restaurant in Taos, Byzantium, and had Green Chile Chicken Parmesan. Very interesting. It's super quiet here, so I'm thinking I'll sleep well. And tomorrow, I'm going to hike in the morning, and read in the afternoon. I can't wait.
1 comment:
I'm not sure mild-mannered Western Oregon can compete with horrible altitude sickness and all that gosh-darned grandeur. But I have found some good places to eat here, and we can take a nice flat walk along the Willamette and through pretty scenery for hours and hours.
Hope your trip back to LB is utterly uneventful except in getting you home.
Post a Comment