Tuesday, March 20, 2007

When Good Weather Turns Bad!

As promised earlier, here are some pictures of Parc Ciutadella (which I misspelled last time). There´s a picture of this incredibly little lake in the middle of the park where people rent rowboats. Seriously, it´s incredibly little, I had to take a picture. Also there´s a great fountain. Those dragons you see were designed by Antoni Gaudí. I actually like the center piece the best because of all the weird plants growing out of it. And then there´s a picture of the park from the top of the fountain. Also, I have a picture of the BCN Lindy Association´s dance. That was such a weird moment for me, and if I had been feeling better, I would have joined in, even though I can´t do lindy. But basic swing would have been fine, I would imagine.

That day was a beautiful day. I had been feeling so lousy that it felt good to just sit in the sun. The next day, Monday, I was going to Parc Guell and do some work, but when I left my apartment, I felt like I was in the middle of a hurricane. It was as clear as could be, but the wind was incredible. It was racing down from Mt. Tibidabo, and picking up speed as it went to the sea. It was also incredibly cold; I think the temperature went down about 15 degrees Fahreinheit. So basically, I curled up in my apartment, which ended up being a good idea because it rained in the middle of the day, and I heard my first peals of thunder in a long time (for those of you who don´t live in LA, it rarely thunders). Today, it has been equally cold and windy, but we haven´t had much rain. But everyone is all bundled up again.

My cold continues, and so I´ve been going to my local farmacia to try different medicine combinations. Yesterday, I asked for nasal spray, but they gave me Vicks. What good is Vicks! Anyway, today I went back, and they laughed at seeing me again. This time I said, "Vale, hoy voy a tratar un . . .", and I didn´t know how to say cough suppressant in Spanish (not surprisingly). So I said, ¿Robitussin? So, Robitussin with Expectorant in Spanish is robitussin con expectorante. How simple is that? But they were out -- ¡que lastima! So they gave me an equivalent, Bisolvon Compositum. So we´ll see if it´s as good as the holy grail of cough suppressants.

Thursday I go to Madrid and environs for 10 days. I´m going to try to keep up with the blog, but the pictures will have to wait until I get back. The weather there, by the way, is supposed to worse than here. ¡Ay, Dios Mio!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope this finds you feelling much better.

Are you going with your students to Madrid? Hope you have a wonderful time.

We are enjoying your blog very much.That's great pic ofyou at Parc Ciutadella.

Love you - Mom

Anonymous said...

I thought I had commented already, but it didn't show up. So, to repeat myself...

What's with all the plants? I looked up Parc Ciutadella hoping to discover some profound meaning behind why Gaudi designed it that way. What I learned was that he was a student at the time and was working for the lead architect of La Casada (the fountain). The sculptural figures were definitely Gaudi's and should be a great example of early work. But not much attention is paid to his role (on the internet at least).

But you missed Parc Guell! (have you already been there?) You will go back, right?

It's great getting your perspective (in print and in images) of all these places. Keep it coming mi hermano!

-Jon