Friday, March 23, 2007

The Best Veggie Burger I Ever Had: Madrid 1

After a quick desayuno, I went to the Reina Sofia museum, and spent 4 hours there. It´s a pretty incredible museum, but the highlight is Picasso´s Guernica. It is much more devastating in person than I would have expected. It´s huge, and black and white, and you can feel the pain and agony coming off the canvas. It actually made me feel sick, so I had to walk around a bit, and then go back. It´s hard to imagine having that reaction to a painting, but I did, and it´s an experience I´ll never forget.

On another note, they have Dali´s The Great Masturbator. What a hoot!

After that, I walked to a restaurant that one of my guidebooks had recommended called La Cafeteria, near the Prado, and, get this, on the Plaza de la Cafeteria. I couldn´t understand the Spanish, but I guess some King christened it that because he liked to eat there. The current restaurant is not, presumably, the original one. However, the food was great, and the atmosphere was tranquil, even though we were really near a major road.

Tonight I went to see Little Miss Sunshine, which is kind of weird choice, I know, for a movie in Spain, but it was great, and it made me feel a little homesick for the Southwest. Then I went to La Plaza Bilbao, on my friend Gail´s suggestion, and found this restaurant called O Este (which I think is a play on West-East) and had the best veggie burger I´ve ever had. Seriously, it was homemade, filled with veggies, and seriously good. It´s funny to come to such a meat loving city and having a great vegetarian meal, but the whole day was like that. Unexpected things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine very much.

The museums sound wonderful. Hope you're getting lots of pix.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I think someone named "mom" is stalking your blog!